Friday, November 26, 2010

Love Your Enemies

    "When you forgive, you are letting a prisoner free" -- Joel Olsteen
      I remember years ago I went to talk to my Pastor about someone that caused me a lot of emotional pain in my life. I was asking him what should I do, or what can I do. I was expecting him to tell me to just ignore the person or don't have anything to do with them or something similar to that. What he told me was that, the meaner and the more hateful they were to me, I needed to be that much more nicer to them. Obviously, this is not the news I was expecting. So I was like, "but it doesn't matter how much nicer I am they are still gonna be mean to me." And he told me to still be even more nicer and loving and giving to them. Of course at that time being a very young adult I felt he didn't understand and that I was still gonna hold this grudge that I had for this person. Little did I know that what the pastor was telling me was coming right from the word of God.
     I know most of us have heard the story of when Jesus said to turn the other cheek. Jesus also said in  Matthew 5:43-48 says 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.   Now this scripture pretty much speaks for itself. What I get from it is that God does not want you to try to get revenge or try to hurt someone that hurts you. Even the most evil people can be nice to ones they love and that are good to them, so what reward is in that? You can rise above all of that by still being good to those who hate you and pray for them and forgive for them. Don't worry about it because God will solve all those cases for you. The quote by Joel Olsteen referring to the prisoner, I hope you realize that the prisoner that you are setting free when you forgive is YOU. 
  Let's say there is a person that you know that is going around spreading rumors about you, lying on you, talking really bad about you. Some how the information got back to you, but not from that person. So of course now you have some bad feelings towards that person for the things that they did to you. Now, you get some news about this person. They have become sick, or they are in a bad financial situation, or a car accident. What is your next move? Do you say, "Hey they deserved it!", or do you feel bad about it. Its easy to have condemnation for that person when they have done you wrong. But, is a great and wonderful thing and it takes Gods great power to offer consolation to that person.
    Here's a challenge for you, think of a person that you may have had some bad experiences with, confess those feelings and any vengeance you may have for them, then think of an act of love that you can show towards that person. You will not only be mouthing, but MODELING the words of Jesus when he said to "Love your Enemies". FORGIVE SO YOU CAN BE FREE!!!    ... on that note, Jesus said LOVE your enemies, he didn't say you had to LIKE them.. LOL.. Just kidding ya'll. 
   
 If you would like to start experiencing God’s plan for your life, then pray the following prayer with me.  Jesus, I welcome you in to my life.  I believe that you are the son of God and you died for my sins and I receive your forgiveness.  I acknowledge that I have been a sinner and repent of all my sins.  Jesus, I will cling to, adhere to you, and trust you.  I will follow these steps with baptism.  And finally, Jesus, thank you for your  Holy Spirit.  I welcome your Spirit into me. In the name of Jesus, Amen.


If you would like Prayer, baptism, or if you would like to visit us please call 972- 292- 7129  or go to www.theplaceic.com ... also email me at maineak83@yahoo.com   I am a member of The Place International Church in Longview, TX. Thank you and God Bless you!!!


2 comments:

  1. i love this lisa. what helps me to forgive others is when i think about the times (and they are many) that i need forgiveness...not only from God but from people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ms murphy!! that is a great way to help a person forgive, I never thought of looking at it that way. We all need forgiveness at one point or another and how can we expect or ask for forgiveness when we can't even forgive.

    ReplyDelete